Thursday, March 1, 2012

Where do I begin?

A journey has a beginning, as a disillusioned disciple begins the journey into "illusionment" (I think I've invented a new word), where is the starting point? Where are the first steps taken to grasp not only the call, but the action of becoming a disciple of Jesus, a maker of disciples, and a maker of disciplemakers? Quiet simply it begins with Lordship, with Jesus Christ becoming the center of life.

There are two key verses for this action in becoming a disciple of Jesus, Galatians 2:20 and 2 Corinthians 5:17. There are many other passages to use, but these two give a stepping off point for the journey and it is imperative that the truths here be grasped and applied. The power, the engine for a disciple's life is found in this truth and the rest will be futile and lead to disillusionment without this fact driving the disciple's life.

"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. " Galatians 2:20 (ESV) This verse needs to be thought about long and hard. The truth behind this passage is devastating! Listen..."I have been crucified with Christ..." that means only one thing, death! The disciple's first move is to die voluntarily just as Jesus did. A dead person owns nothing, has no claims on possessions, power or positions...self dies on the cross with Jesus. The issue for those who examine the call to discipleship today is the unwillingness to die to self.

This is not self-denial or some sort of self flagellation to prove one's spirituality, it is the moving of the locus of control of life from self to Christ. The total identification of life with Christ, so literally..."I no longer live, but Christ lives in me." The western church has an issue with this because it has become soft and is unwilling to give up self. Yet, if one is to live as a disciple of Jesus and not merely a church-member, this is the key issue.

The daily living of the Christ life, as a result of what Christ has done, is the result of Lordship. It is not perfection, but it is the daily journey; it is living in awareness of how I live, of my identification with Christ in all areas of life. It is here where the separation of secular and spiritual dies, for it is in Lordship where all of life becomes sacred, holy and dedicated to Christ.

This comes to the place where the disciple sees their self "in Christ." (2 Corinthians 5:17) Being in Christ is being a new creation, it is putting the old self, not just away but according to Galatians 2:20, to death! Becoming a new creation is not being a rebuild, but a new production...that is what it means to be born again! Not a religious act, not the joining of an organization or an institution, but nothing less than making Jesus Lord!

The place the church lives now is "costless Christianity", the focus on saying the right prayer and becoming a part of the social institution. Religious duties are performed, but there is no call to Lordship; therefore, there is no Biblical discipleship. Bonhoeffer would say, "cheap grace."
With the Apostle Paul, I say, "not that I have already attained, but pressing on...." All of the goals in my life hinge on this one issue, will I make Jesus Lord of my life...daily! The journey from disillusionment to fruitfulness begins right here. The spiritual disciplines of devotional life, prayer, Bible study, memorization and meditation are the beginnings of this journey into Lordship. Accountability is the compass to keep true north, true north and not allowing the tyranny of the urgent or what is good to override what is the best.

Your Servant forJesus' sake,

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment